The Edmonton Police Commission, in consultation with the Chief of Police, is responsible for hiring and appointing the Deputy Chiefs of Police. This responsibility includes entering into any required employment agreement with a Deputy Chief.
The Commission delegates its authority to negotiate any required employment agreement to the Chief of Police, subject to the Chief of Police negotiating an agreement with, at most, the terms and conditions attached as the template agreement at Schedule “A”.
- The Chief shall only have discretion to negotiate the terms listed below of the template agreement (as per the numbering of Schedule “A”). The Chief’s discretion to negotiate shall be within the following parameters:
1.1 Term (Section 2.1): Term shall be between 2 years to 5 years.
1.2 Salary (Section 8.1): The salary range must be within the range set by the ML5-BM1 salary grade in the City of Edmonton Management Salary Schedule, or the equivalent document set by the City of Edmonton, applicable the date that the agreement commences.
1.3 Vacation (Section 10.1): Vacation shall be between 20 days to 30 days.
1.4 Pension (Article 11): The Chief shall negotiate any reasonable terms and conditions related to the Deputy Chief’s pension entitlement depending on the terms of the pension, and the individual Deputy Chief’s particular circumstances. Any such terms and conditions shall be subject to the review and approval of the Commission, such approval the Commission may reasonably withhold.
2. The Deputy Chiefs of Police are not entitled to any additional compensation not included in the Deputy Chief’s employment agreement, unless expressly permitted in writing by the Commission.
3. The Chief of Police shall bring all Deputy Chief agreements to the Commission following negotiation for review and approval. The Commission shall review and approve any such agreement that conforms to this policy, subject to the right of review of Article 11.
4. The Chief may recommend renewal of any Deputy Chief’s agreement, the terms and conditions of which shall conform to this policy. The Commission has sole discretion, which it may exercise arbitrarily, to approve any such renewal.
5. The Deputy Chiefs of Police report to and take direction solely from the Chief of Police.
6. Annually, the Chief will evaluate the performance of the Deputy Chiefs of Police and discuss these evaluations with the Commission.
This Policy shall apply to all Deputy Chiefs of Police appointed after the adoption of this Policy and to any Deputy Chief agreements renewed after the adoption of this policy. Any and all policies of the Commission adopted prior to the adoption of this Policy specifically setting or amending the terms and conditions of Deputy Chief agreements shall be of no force and effect with respect to any Deputy Chief agreement entered into subsequent to this Policy. Nothing in this Policy shall amend or otherwise affect any deputy chief agreements entered into before and in force on the date of the adoption of this Policy.
December 15, 2016
September 17, 2015
November 30, 2007