To further the Commission’s mandate by being open and transparent the Commission will provide accurate, credible and timely information through the media; and speaking with one voice on Commission policies, decisions and issues.
- The Chair or his/her designate is the official spokesperson of the Commission and are the only people authorized to speak with media on behalf of the Commission.
- All media inquiries are to be referred to the Executive Director and/or Communications Director for their consideration and guidance.
- The Chair or designated spokesperson will be responsible for responding to media inquiries in a timely and appropriate manner.
- The Chair or designated spokesperson will consult with the Executive Director and/or Communications Director in developing the Commission’s position and message.
- Where practicable, in instances of a planned news release or news conference, the Chair or designated spokesperson will share the Commission’s position with Commissioners prior to public release.
- On occasion Commissioners may be asked to informally comment on matters related to their role on the Commission. Members are expected to speak with one voice by reflecting the Commission’s position and provide thoughtful commentary within the parameters of the confidentiality policy.
- If a member disagrees with a decision of the Commission, members will not publicly impugn the Commission’s decision making ability, motives or their fellow commissioners.
- Where Commission members could be perceived to be in a conflict of interest with an advocacy group, interest group or another board, they must act in accordance with their primary responsibility to the Commission.
- Commissioners are accountable for exercising their duties with honesty and providing truthful information, within the parameters of the Commission’s confidentiality and communications policy.
- The Commission will establish a communication plan for furthering stakeholder and public relations annually.
- When issues of public interest emerge, a communications plan will be developed to assist the Commission in communicating appropriate information to stakeholders, the public and media.
- The Chair or his/her designate is the official spokesperson for the Service annual budget.
September 17, 2015
April 19, 2012
April 22, 2010
October 22, 2009
November 30, 2007