As set out in the Police Act, the Edmonton Police Commission is responsible for receiving and disposing of complaints against the Chief of the Edmonton Police Service.
Upon receipt of a complaint against the Chief, the Executive Director, or his designate, shall:
- notify the Commission Chair with a copy of the complaint;
- notify all Commissioners with a copy of the complaint;
- notify the Chief of Police with a copy of the complaint, unless there is an investigative reason to delay notice;
- acknowledge receipt of the complaint to the complainant and advise the complainant that the matter will be considered by the Commission; and,
- with the assistance of legal counsel (if required) coordinate the complaint being brought forward to the Commission for their review and direction.
The Commission shall follow the provisions of the Police Act as they relate to complaints against the Chief of Police.
The Executive Director shall ensure that any reporting requirements as set out in the Police Act are met.
The Commission shall provide the complainant and the Chief of Police with a written disposition of the complaint. A copy of the disposition shall be included in the next scheduled Commission meeting materials.
September 17, 2015
November 30, 2007