The Edmonton Police Commission recognizes the importance of efficiency in investigating complaints. The Police Service Regulation provides the Edmonton Police Commission with the authority to extend the time limit for the Chief of Police to charge a police officer with misconduct.
In the normal course, the Chief shall bring a request for time extension to the Commission prior to the expiry of the time limit.
- All extension requests must specify why an extension is being sought and the length of the extension being requested.
- Requests shall first be provided by the Chief of Police to the Public Complaint Director.
- The Public Complaint Director shall review the requests, request additional information from the Chief, as required, and bring the requests forward to the Professional Standards Committee.
- The Professional Standards Committee shall review the requests, request additional information from the Chief, as required, and prepare recommendations to be brought forward to the Commission.
- The Chair of the Professional Standards Committee shall bring to the Commission the extension requested by the Chief of Police together with the recommendation of the Committee.
- The Commission shall decide whether to grant the extension requested.
September 17, 2015
December 17, 2009
November 30, 2007