The Edmonton Police Commission adopts the Edmonton Police Service Health and Safety Policy Statement and participates in the Edmonton Police Service Occupational Health and Safety Program.
The following are specific health and safety procedures of the Edmonton Police Commission:
- One staff member will be assigned the responsibility of Fire Warden. One staff member will be the Deputy Fire Warden. Assignment will be reviewed every two years.
- Emergency Response Procedures: The Fire Warden and Deputy Fire Warden shall, annually, attend the Emergency Response Procedures training provided by the lessor. After receiving the training, the procedures will be reviewed with all staff.
- Annual Facility Inspection: The Fire Warden will conduct an annual facility inspection by March 31. The results of the facility inspection will be brought forward to the Executive Director for review and action, as necessary.
- First Aid Supplies: The office shall have a first aid kit located in an area which is accessible by all employees. The Fire Warden will assess and replenish the supplies of the first aid kit annually as part of the annual facility inspection.
- Hazard Assessment: The Executive Director, in collaboration with all staff, will annually review the hazard assessment.
- Check In and Check Out Procedures: Where a staff member is working alone after 1900hrs, that staff member will advise the Executive Director or another staff member that they are working, and will also advise when they are leaving work, and when they have safely reached their vehicle or have arrived home on public transit or via taxi. This applies to both weekdays and weekends.
- Attendance of Unknown Persons at EPC Office- Where an unknown member of the public attends at the EPC offices, they will not be invited into the interview room but instead sent down to the area beside the lessor’s security desk. The PCD will attend at the couches. If comfortable, the PCD will meet with the individual in the food court. If not comfortable, the PCD will meet with the individual at the couches (close to security) or another location deemed suitable to the PCD.
- Attendance of Known Persons at EPC Office- only individuals known to EPC staff will meet in the interview room and ONLY if EPC staff agree that it is safe to do so. In most cases, all meetings will be conducted with two EPC staff present. Only if an EPC staff member is confident that it is safe to do so as the individual is known to them and that they have sufficient experience with the individual to assess risk will an EPC staff member meet with a member of the public alone.
- Panic Alarm Response: In the event that the panic alarm is activated, lights and sirens in the EPC space are engaged. The Executive Director and Communications Director will attend immediately to the interview room if in use prior to the alarm. The Executive Assistant or Administrative Assistant will call 911 and the Scotia Place security desk at 780-421-5432.
- Getting Home Safely: If working late, and fatigued or using public transit, if a supervisor is not available to offer a ride home, staff may take a taxi and seek reimbursement.
September 17, 2015